Beginning the journey with Essential Oils was an impulse that I acted on back in May before finding out we were pregnant with Lily. Then 1st-trimester exhaustion set in and that little starter kit of oils was put under the sink and forgotten. Once we lost Lily and I began to explore the healing process that I felt the Lord was calling me to, I knew essential oils would be a part of my journey to healing from grief.
Let me start out by saying, I am not a natural kind of person…but, I am seeing great results and trusting God in how He wants me to move through healing…It is only because I know that the way that I had been doing things is not working and that I need to try something radically different to support my holistic healing process!
What I hope will be most helpful is to look at the major Grief Symptoms that I have experienced (and many others do too) and what oils I am using to support my health.
Special note…I am a distributor for Young Living and believe that their oils are superior to most that you can buy in a store…be careful what you buy…make sure it is a reputable brand! Also…I am not a medical professional, if your grief symptoms are severe, consult your doctor, midwife or therapist for additional support!
Symptoms of Grief and Oils to Support
Experiencing fatigue is one of the most common side effects of grief. Constantly feeling rundown, too tired to function and then unable to sleep once you get into bed. It is so hard when you know how exhausted you have been all day to finally crawl into bed and be unable to sleep!
Essential Oils for Fatigue:
- PanAway essential oil blend has a refreshing, invigorating aroma and a cooling sensation when applied to the skin. It is a mixture of Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Clove, and Peppermint essential oils. Its aroma is really stimulating and invigorating.
- En-R-Gee is loaded with the spicy-pine fragrance of Rosemary, Juniper, Lemongrass, Nutmeg, Balsam Fir, Clove, and Black Pepper essential oils. Many people do not like the fragrance (that usually means it is really helpful for you), but it can be applied to the feet to give you the boost you need.
Essential Oils for Insomnia:
- Lavender has so many wonderful uses and helping to create a relaxing routine is one of them! Diffuse in your bedroom or apply to the bottoms of your feet before bed. Add it to your favorite lotion and massage your whole body prior to sleep.
- Cedarwood essential oil creates a relaxing, calming, and comforting atmosphere when diffused to help support a relaxing nighttime routine. It can also be used topically on the skin and hair to improve their appearance.
Grief can cause a person to begin forgetting to eat regularly or just the opposite, to begin to indulge frequently. It can cause stomach upset that mimics Irritable Bowel syndrome or just leave a person feeling nauseous a lot. Fortunately, there are some natural options to help combat the symptoms that may arise from stomach issues during the grieving process.
Essential Oils for Digestive Problems:
- Peppermint oil diluted with a carrier oil is great for the stomach. It can help with most forms of pain but can help eliminate symptoms of bloating as well. Peppermint calms stomach muscles and reduces pain from cramping.
- Digize is a blend of several oils including Tarragon, Ginger, Peppermint, Juniper, Lemongrass, Anise, and Patchouli. Rubbed onto the stomach with a carrier oil it can relieve cramping, bloating and discomfort. I use this on my girls every time they have a tummy ache!
Grief is a sure way to begin what feels like a rollercoaster of emotions. While it is good to know that the range is normal and it is best to feel the emotions versus stuffing them away…it also is not fun to ride the roller coaster if there is another way. This is one of the biggest reasons I began using my oils. I needed to work on my emotions and how I was treating the ones I love in my home.
I did not want to allow the hurt and grief over losing my babies keep me from loving the babies I had already been blessed with.
Essential Oils for Irritability:
- White Angelica has a sweet, warm fragrance and can be used to create a peaceful and calming environment.
- Peace & Calming is a blend of oils that are wonderful for creating those feelings in ourselves, our environment, and is great to be used on children before bed!
- Myrrh helps slow down and deepen your breathing, helping relax your body and bring mental clarity. Myrrh also reduces headaches and migraines which can increase your anger and tension.
Inability to Overcome Deep Sadness or Experience Joy
We all know that the trademark symptom of Grief is great sadness. It is ok to grieve, cry and have sad feelings. But, it is not ok to be so deeply plagued by them that we lose all joy in the process. I have come to love these following oils because I see how they help me when I apply them!
Essential Oils for Sadness:
- Joy essential oil blend produces an aroma that brings joy to the heart, mind, and soul. It feels like a favorite perfume when I put it on. Considered a feminine fragrance, it includes Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Jasmine, Palmarosa, Rose, Bergamot, Lemon, and Tangerine.
- Forgiveness essential oil blend contains an aroma that supports the ability to forgive yourself and others while letting go of negative emotions, an important part of personal growth. It seems forgiveness is a key part of the healing process. We must forgive ourselves of any perceived wrongdoing and also others that we may perceive that has wronged us as well.
- Frankincense has long been used during times of worship and spirituality to help us feel closer to our faith. The resin and sap of trees are reminiscent of life’s blood in the sense that it protects, seals, and heals a wound the tree has received. So, just like a physical wound, resin-based oils are known for their ability to heal the wounds within us as well. Isn’t that just beautiful!!
Inability to Focus & Forgetfulness
Feeling like you just can’t get your act together is very common for someone in the grieving process. You often feel like your thoughts are scattered and jumbled up all over the place…and that there is ALWAYS something you have forgotten. While this is normal, when it comes to carrying on with life after loss, you often need times where you can think clearly to accomplish important tasks.
These oils will help you maintain clarity and focus during important times (paying bills, work, driving)
Essential Oils for Mental Focus and to Prevent Forgetfulness
- Clarity is a blend of Basil, Rosemary, Peppermint, and other essential oils for an aroma that invites a sense of clarity and alertness.
- Lavender helps you focus on the task at hand, reduces anxiety, and soothes mental irritation.
- Magnify Your Purpose is a blend of Sacred Sandalwood, Sage, Coriander and Patchouli that stimulates creativity, desire, focus, and motivation, encouraging you to seize your initiative when used aromatically.
I am praying this info will first and foremost help you understand the symptoms of grief that you are experiencing. And then give you tools to relieve those symptoms and help you process through those deep emotions. Essential oils are just one tool of many that are available for healing! I am hoping this will arm you with information to battle through to healing!